Williamsville Chapel
Postcard showing early view of Williamsville Chapel, looking North on Burnshirt Road
Early History
Early Map of Williamsville Village of Hubbardston
In 1872, a group of women living in and around the village of Williamsville organized the “Ladies’ Union Social Circle” to “feelings of unity and goodwill”. Original members were: Mary C. Cheney, Mrs. C. M. Allen, Mrs. C. C. Hemenway, Mrs. Lucy B. Hale, Mrs. John D. Williams, Mrs. N. H. Felton, Mrs. Susan M. Jewett, Mrs. Seth P. H. Hale, Mrs. Etta M. Sheldon.
Many of these women were wives of prominent businessman of the day. N. H. Felton was a dealer in dry goods, boots, and shoes in the village. Hale & Williams were manufacturers of chair seats and dealers in lumber. Seth Hale ran a general store including a post office, express, and telegraph facilities.
Villagers had to travel to Barre or Hubbardston Center to attend church services and by 1887, the “Ladies’ Union Social Circle” felt the time had come to build their own interdenominational Protestant chapel.
Thus “The Williamsville Union Sunday School Society” was incorporated. The stated purpose was: “...to interest all the residents of Williamsville and vicinity in maintaining public worship and a Sunday School on the Sabbath and such religious and social meetings and other assemblies on weekdays, as the public interest shall require.” The document was signed by: Chas E. Brown, M. H. Hitchcock, Henry B. Jencks, Ellen M. Williams, Sarah E. Hemenway, Minerva F. Hale, Susan M. Jewett.
In October 1888, one-half acre was purchased for $15 from Seth P.H. Hale and Lucy A. Bennett to be used for the chapel and it was constructed by J. N. Lincoln of Furnace, MA. The cost including furnishings was $2,073.75 and it was dedicated, free of debt, on February 22, 1889.
Acquisition by the Hubbardston Historical Society
The Williamsville Union Sunday School Society (WUSSS) approached the Hubbardston Historical Society (HHS) in 1999 with a proposal to deed the chapel over to the HHS due to the dwindling membership in WUSSS. Their intent was to put the building in the hands of a historically minded group that would allow future generations to appreciate it and use it for meetings, weddings, and other events. The members of the HHS voted to accept the chapel and the deed transfer was recorded in November of 2001. The WUSSS had done a good job of keeping the building in good shape and no major work was immediately required.
Our goal is the maintain the historic charm of the building while using it for events such as farmer’s markets, pie sales, guest speakers and other programs. The building is available for small wedding ceremonies or services.
Architectural Description
According to the Hubbardston Historical Cultural Resources Survey conducted by Margaret Hepler in 1995, the Williamsville Chapel is one of Hubbardston’s best examples of Queen Anne style and the only Queen Anne institutional building in town. The little-changed story and a half towered building has a main front-gabled block housing the sanctuary. Appended is a front shed-roofed section, which is a generous anteroom and reception area, and a tower which houses the entrance. An inset porch edged with a decorative railing leads to double leaf doors with central windows bordered in Queen Anne style with stained glass panes.
The tower interior includes a hall, coat closet, and small storeroom. The upper tower is octagonal, topped by an elaborate weathervane and skirted with faceted concave panels sheathed with decoratively cut shingles. The chapel walls are patterned with cut shingles, stickwork, and clapboarding. Upper pairs of panes in elongated 4/4 windows on the first floor are colored glass; tower windows are 6/6s. A kitchen wing (1920) leads to a stairway to the cellar where an earth closet was built at the same date. The building still has no running water.
The interior is furnished with wooden chairs of late 19th century design, perhaps made in the village chairworks, and several ornate iron wood-burning stoves. The stoves provide the building’s only heat. An oilcloth with Chinese designs in the anteroom is the only covering on the wooden floors. A plain, low wooden platform was added to the sanctuary in the early 20th century. An antique Boston piano on heavy carved legs is next to the platform.
Architectural Details photo Gallery
Additional Resources:
MHC Reconnaissance Survey Town Report HUBBARDSTON Report Date: 1984
Massachusetts Cultural Resource Information System Inventory (MACRIS)
Ongoing Building Maintenance Plan
Since acquiring the chapel, HHS has kept up with maintenance while maintaining the original condition of the building. A composting toilet has been installed but we still have no running water or central heat, using wood stoves to take the chill off when needed.
Recently, chimney work was undertaken in partnership with a grant from the 1772 Foundation.
The Building Maintenance Committee periodically takes an inventory of both interior and exterior conditions and establishes an ongoing work list. Current priorities (1-3 years) include exterior painting of the rear of the chapel, some minor foundation repair, and replacement of cords and weights in windows.
HHS also sponsors an annual spring cleanup day at the Chapel.