Historical Homes Tour & Lunch
Sunday August 27th 2017
10:00a.m - 2:00p.m.
It all started when...
Join us for a self-guided tour of some of Hubbardston’s historic homes and buildings. Take your time and enjoy our country roads as you drive by many other historic homes en route.
Enjoy a simple lunch at the Williamsville Chapel from 11:30am to 2pm. Please pre-register for lunch when you register for the tour. Or, feel free to bring your own picnic lunch to the Chapel.
please Register Below
Walk-in registrations for the tour are also welcome after 10am on Sunday morning
at the Williamsville Chapel, 4 Burnshirt Rd., Hubbardston, MA 01452.
All participants must start at the Chapel in order to participate in the tour.
We will be selling coffee and pastries at the Chapel that morning.
choose Tour & map, or
Tour & map with lunch included.
A self-guided tour of some of our historic buildings and homes. Lunch and tea included at the Chapel from 11 :30a.m. - 2:00p.m. Pre-registration for the lunch is requested by Wednesday, August 23rd please. Register here online or call Karen at 978 928-5685 for other payment options.
Lunch registration closes tomorrow, Wednesday, August 23.
Sandwich choices (indicate on registration form)
Farmer’s Choice: roast beef, local cheese, pickled onions, horseradish mayonnaise with field greens on a baguette
Vegetarian Rustica: heirloom tomatoes, fresh mozzarella, lemon basil pesto with sprouts and field greens on a baguette
Cucumber and watermelon salad
Sweet Potato Chips
Lemon Almond Cookie
Cucumber water or iced green tea infused with fresh lemon verbena
home of Cyndee and Charlie Johnson
Our house is a smaller replication of the Fitch House located at Old Sturbridge Village. We built it in 1994 as our retirement home and to complement our collection of primitive antiques. The home was built by Mike Pond of Hubbardston and we did all of the interior finish work ourselves. We are both retired and enjoy our little home and working in our gardens. Hope you enjoy your visit!
the green home
The old farm at 25 Old Westminster Rd is currently known as Greenland Farm. The land was part of Great Farm XXXII, deeded by King George to The Wright Family of Woburn in 1732.
The property was settled as early as the late 1760's by Joseph Wright, who built a small house in the current location. Joseph fought in the Revolutionary War, was a Selectman, a mill owner and farmer. When the citizens that instigated the Shay's Rebellion were arrested and tried in Worcester, Joseph Wright spoke for the defendants at the trial. They were released and sent home.
The front of the house was built in 1802 as an addition to the original house when Joseph was fifty-three and was a more affluent home, as Joseph had accumulated wealth in his businesses. We were able to view the original 1802 contract for the construction of the formal addition and the building was built complete for $200, plus twenty cows and twenty corn beefs, with all wood coming from the Wright sawmill. Currency was virtually non-existent in 1802. For reference, the federal budget was $8.1 million dollars in 1802.
The house is a Federal style home, and featured nine foot ceilings in the downstairs, and fine woodworking and moldings throughout,
The property has been used as a farm since the 1760's except for the period from 1940 to 1985 when it was lived in only intermittently due to it's poor condition. .
The current owners spent twenty-five years restoring the house, from the foundation up, adding heat and indoor utilities and building the barns that are now on the property. The Greens raise beef cows and sell hay on the remains of Great Farm XXXII.....
The Wheeler House 26 main st.
The wheeler store 1 main st.
26 Main St. was considered by many "The Wheeler House". Built ca. 1834, it was first owned by the Morse family and then by the Wheeler family who moved in around 1885. The family originally had 6 children, 4 grew to adulthood. William Wheeler in partnership with his brother Elwin, purchased the general store at the corner of Main and Elm streets from William Morse in 1876 and operated as the Wheeler Brothers General Store. Upon their retirement, the surviving son Silas M. inherited and and operated the Store. Silas married and had three sons, two who married and moved away and one who remained a bachelor and remained in Hubbardston.
In 1968, Silas abruptly closed the store, and died in 1970. The store itself was moth-balled for nearly 3 decades while the bachelor son, Morey (Silas Jr.) continued to live in the apartment above. and care for his aunts and the home at 26 Main St. In 1972 his aunt Bessie died at the age of 88 and in 1983 Katharine, died in her home at the age of 101. Morey inherited and continued to care for 26 Main St. while living at 1 Main St. In the early 2000's Morey fell ill with cancer. He moved in to 26 Main St., and he died in there in 2004. 26 Main St. was virtually unchanged from the time of Katharine's passing (over 20 years) until the Churchill's bought it in 2005.
After Morey's passing his brothers auctioned off the contents of the store at 1 Main St. and sold the building to the Harden family, who bought it with the intent of renovating the building and returning the store to operation. The Churchills, along with Dawn and Ben Prentiss, bought 1 Main St. in 2010.
Both properties have been restored/renovated in the past 10 years. 1 Main Street has a residence on the 2nd/3rd floors, and on the first floor has commercial space (therapy offices and a yoga studio). 26 Main Street is residential, with restoration/renovations to the front half of the house. The back portion of the original house required such extensive repair that the Churchills demolished this portion and rebuilt near to the original footprint, with the intent of keeping the historic character of the building.
the Simmerer Home
144 Williamsville Rd
The Simmerer property at 144 Williamsville Rd. was one of the original “Great Farms” of 640 acres bequeathed by the king of England to American colonists in the 18th century. The house was built in 1787 by John Browning of Rutland. In the 19th century, Browning’s daughter-in-law, Betsy Browning, was thrown from her carriage when returning from the center of Hubbardston from Sunday worship. This incident inspired the construction of the Williamsville Chapel in 1888.
Martha and David W. Simmerer purchased the property when they were married in August, 1964.